No such thing as too much fun

This has been a weekend and a half. If only every weekend could be like this ... but then nothing would get done ... but then I might not care that nothing is getting done ...







It all started on Wednesday with the first birthday event, chronicled in a post below. Thursday we threw together a slumber party. Albus's version last spring had been so easy, I had no qualms. Turns out, five girls make a lot of noise. There were moments when I was standing in the kitchen going I can't stand the squealing. Will they just stop giggling? Kevin found my response very amusing: You're not much of a girlie girl, are you? The pillow fight first thing in the morning just about did me in. But in the end, I could stand back and laugh and appreciate their energy and excitement.

The irony of it all was that I spent Friday night at my own version of a (non-sleepover) slumber party when my darling little book club got together in a hot tub. Yes, you read that correctly. Let's just say it was a book club for the ages. It's not often I'm still awake at 3:30 in the morning. Though I suspect the neighbours might have been having their own moments of will they just stop giggling already?

Friday was also AppleApple's actual birthday. She celebrated with three hours of soccer. But we also had a surprise for her: her own writing desk for her new room. Thanks once again to kijiji. We'd been storing it in the basement, and post-slumber-party Kevin hauled it upstairs and set it up in her room (all while the birthday girl herself was sitting at the counter, completely oblivious, absorbed in a new book). We then coaxed her up: "Let me get a photo of you in your new room." The first attempt was a bust. She went into the room, posed, and walked out. Kevin and I just about died laughing. This pretty much sums up our AppleApple: she lives deep inside her head. So we coaxed her back up a second time, she sat down in her reading chair, looked across the room and -- at last! -- spotted the writing desk. Reaction above. Sweet.

Now, just to put the icing on a truly terrific weekend, last night also featured our turn in a babysitting exchange. Have you heard of the overnight babysitting exchange? If not, may I highly recommend such a venture to you. First, find a willing family of equal size. Second, set two dates. Third, drop your kids off with their sleeping gear. Fourth, thank me later. (And thanks to Tricia for introducing the idea to us.) I didn't mention step 2.5, in which the other family's children are dropped off at your house with their sleeping gear. Yes, in our case, it means having eight children in the house (we took our turn last month.) But let me just shout: Totally worth it! Completely. Absolutely. I say we book dates on a quarterly basis. Seriously. Just for example, we spent on dinner what we usually spend on babysitting. And we went out for brunch this morning. Brunch!

Ergo, on this Sunday noon, I am so ridiculously relaxed I can't remember all those things I should be doing. I'm going with it. Everyone needs to let down the hair from time to time. Forget serious. Get silly. Empty the mind. Inhabit the goofy happy happening. It's good for the soul.

Labels: , , , , , , ,