Recipe for a party

Forgive the 60s-style photos. I just discovered my photo editing software has special features. And there's something about a family birthday party that cries out for instant nostalgia. AppleApple turns nine tomorrow. Due to a manic week, we scheduled a little party for her yesterday evening.

**Party menu: Baked russet potatoes. Steamed broccoli. Cheese sauce. Roasted curried cauliflower. Sauteed onions, peppers and mushrooms with thyme and reduced wine. Green salad. Condiments: salt, pepper, butter, marg, crema, plain yogurt, salsa, grated cheese. With cake for dessert, of course.

I love planning a menu. And when planning a menu, I love a theme. I hadn't done baked potatoes as a theme before, and it did require giving phone instructions to my ten-year-old so he could turn on the oven for me at the right time (the rest of us were at piano lessons; the scrubbed and prepped potatoes were already in the oven.) I whipped up the rest of the meal in under an hour upon arriving home, save for the cake which I'd baked earlier in the day. Phew. But when it was done, it was done. I poured a glass of wine and relaxed. Bowls were passed up and down the table. I was able to keep this meal vegetarian, and those of us who are lactose-intolerant could customize with vegan options.

AppleApple invented a game for the party. A Quidditch board game. It was pretty fun.

Obligatory puffed-cheek candle shot.

A few more parties to go. I'm not complaining. I wouldn't organize all these celebrations if I didn't secretly enjoy them myself too.

Labels: , , ,