Zones of comfort

DSC01830.jpg
kids on the fridge

I never seem to get the end of my inbox. I think I'm there, and then I realize something else is waiting to be answered, and I'll admit it makes me feel ever so slightly that I'm constantly letting people down. But one must prioritize. And I probably say Yes far too often as it is.

I'm in preparation mode, full throttle. It happens that Kevin is also working very long hours this week, and I've developed a cold, so an element of this particular preparation mode is survival. I completed a lovely nine consecutive days of yoga and then I stopped the challenge. Likewise, we're doing no early morning swims this week (and by "we" I mean swim girl, although I also get up with her, and then run while she's at the pool, and I decided neither of us needed the added activity). I need rest -- sleep, pure and simple -- more than I need to prove to myself that I'm a superhero.

Also, I'm not a superhero.

DSC01822.jpg
chalkboard scheduling

I used to travel a lot, before kids. Now I travel rarely, so rarely that going away for a whole week feels like a huge leap. This will the longest I've been apart from my kids ever. Come to think of it, it will also be the longest I've been apart from Kevin since we got married. You should see the detailed daily schedule I've written on the chalkboard wall. But I know from travelling experiences past that once I'm away, I'll be where I am, not here, both mentally and physically. I'm remembering how much fun it was to go to Vancouver and Winnipeg on my own, with The Juliet Stories, little adventures out of the ordinary.

I'm in the ordinary right now. In fact, it's so ordinary that I have to go back to the mall to return some items purchased yesterday on behalf of a child who doesn't like what I chose. I've got a sick kid home today, and I'm boiling up a huge pot of chicken stock for soup, and I'm brewing my garlic & ginger tea. Health! Please! I keep checking the temperature of the moods in our household and wondering whether this meltdown or that case of the grumps is due to my imminent trip. Yesterday we had a piano practice conniption, and this morning we had a weepy existential crisis (not me). I can't help but feel some measure of guilt for wanting to go on an adventure that excludes my very favourite people on earth. Yet I feel sure that it's important to get out of my comfort zone. I suppose that's why I'm going. It's like adding salt to the broth.

One last thing: I got to run with my big kids on Sunday afternoon. It was beautiful and sunny and it felt like spring. We got muddy. I didn't care how fast I was going nor how far, and I thought that perhaps this was why I wanted to run all along -- so I could run with my kids.

Labels: , , , , ,