Today's top 12 musings on the glamorous combined occupations of Mother & Author

DSC_2308.jpg
smile for the camera!

1. I went to the mall two days in a row. TWO DAYS IN A ROW I WENT TO THE MALL. I hadn't been to the mall since back-to-school shopping last fall. I kind of consider shopping, especially at malls, one of those rings of hell, though perhaps a lesser ring. But I did it. I did it! I even returned items, and got a refund for a torn pair of jeans without having the receipt, which felt like I'd pulled off a minor miracle. Inside a ring of hell, no less.

2. Due to my sufferings at the mall, I now have outfits appropriate for all occasions in London. With accompanying footwear. Fooey and Kevin have seen and approved everything, although Fooey was in a bad mood and was a bit unnecessarily harsh in some of her critiques. Getting older under the scrutiny of one's children is an exercise in biting one's tongue/laughing on the outside/crying on the inside.

3. Did I tell you that my other daughter, somewhat in conversational context, asked this recently: "Mom, did you used to be really pretty?" To which I did a sit-com-worthy double take, and then, with dignity, argued that I consider myself even more attractive (not to say "pretty," perhaps) as I age, because of blah blah blah experience, confidence, etc., to which she replied that she didn't mean that, exactly, she was just wondering if I was "prettier back then," to which I suggested she perhaps stop digging the hole any deeper and we could just leave it at that.

4. Motherhood. I tell ya.

5.  But hey! The sick boy has been reading and reading! I don't allow electronic devices when he's home sick, because I want to offer no enticements to stay home any longer than strictly necessary. The awesome part is that he devoured all three of Susin Neilsen's books, including that one I hoped he would try and nearly killed with my overt recommendations: The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larson. We even talked about the books, at least a little bit.

6. Today is publicity planning day. Apparently, I'll be recording a little publicity video for Two Roads, my UK publisher, on Friday. As I also land at Heathrow on Friday, I'm a little worried about looking jet-lagged and in need of a shower. I will aim for a haggard glamour, as the fresh-faced variety may be out of reach. I will also aim for coherence.

7. That's on Friday! Friday! Two days from today!

8. Also on Friday, I'm having dinner with my Canadian publisher, and on Sunday I'm having lunch with my American publisher. And there are parties on Monday evening. Wowza. It feels like I'm about to step out of one world and into another completely different one.

9. I still have to fit everything into my bag. And leave room for souvenirs. I am not to return home without bringing souvenirs, says Fooey, who will not object if I note that she is my bossiest child, because she knows this, and is proud of the fact. (Or rather, as per the Boss Not Bossy campaign, she is my exceptionally-gifted-in-the-senior-executive-skills child. She really is too.)

10. The boys both need haircuts. I will not have time to attend to this detail until after I get back from London. I suppose there are lots of other details I will have to leave until then, when I dive right back in where I'd left off. Including this: please note in the events calendar on the RH side of this page that I've got readings coming up in Waterloo and Toronto, almost immediately upon my return -- and come if you can.

11. Deep breathing. Deep breathing. Speaking of which, my cold is much better. It must have needed the rest.

12. It's time for the piano lesson run. And, go!

Labels: , , , ,