Girl Before Runner

DSC_1845.jpg
one way to clean up the toys in the back yard, left out since the fall: cover them with snow

I was doing so well with my plan to visit FB only during portions of the day devoted to waiting in the car or standing on the sidelines, as happens virtually every day. In fact, I did so well that FB got in touch to tell me what I was missing, to which I said, haha FB, you are only confirming that my goal has been achieved!

I was doing so well until this morning, when I did a bit of work on my FB author page. If you feel so inclined, please *like* it. I will use the page for promotional purposes so as not to clog up my personal page with self-cheerleading, which can get a bit tedious. I don't want to lose friends.

Anyway, this morning. This morning, I had news to post on my author page, so I visited FB and instantly got sucked into the vortex of liking, making witty/supportive comments, clicking on links, and, I must confess, looking at photos of Leonardo DiCaprio (hardly on purpose, I swear!). Therefore, I recommit to climbing back on the wagon henceforth.

Here is my news: we've had offers for Girl Runner from Catalan and Poland. Catalan and Poland! That means Girl Runner has sold in 11 territories, and will be translated into eight languages (German, French, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Dutch, Polish, and Catalan). I'm told that the publishers will send me copies of the translated book, which in my imagination I've already lined up on my office bookshelf to gaze at in wonder. Will they all have different covers? Will the title be changed in translation?

I've received comments back from my US editor, and the news is good. The work that remains is minimal. I expect to have a finished manuscript to deliver (to all of these publishers!) within the week.

Oh, and we're getting a gas stove in the living-room! It won't be installed for a few weeks, but I have a funny feeling we'll still get use out of it this winter. Yesterday, I was tossing shovelfuls of snow onto banks already so high that I was lifting the shovel to shoulder height. There's nowhere to go with this stuff! When I came outside for my run, at a very early hour this morning, I discovered that in the night the snow ploughs had gone by and thoughtfully undone all of yesterday evening's work, filling in the nicely cleared sidewalk and driveway with heavy, rock-hard street snow. In a rage (and in my running shoes), I grabbed my shovel right there and then and cleared the sidewalk again, tossing the snow on the street-side banks, because there was nowhere else to go. It was like human v car, with car obviously winning. Have we noticed how much we privilege cars over humans in our culture?

Then I went for my run, slipping and sliding and tripping, and generally wondering whether it was worth it to expend such an effort for a pace so ridiculously slow. Is this even running? I asked myself. Could 5 kilometres under such conditions perhaps count for 10? How the heck could I begin to train for a marathon under these circumstances? (As I'm not training for a marathon, this was a purely theoretical question, but now that I mention it again, it makes me want to!)

DSC_1849.jpg
there's a boy in that bed

Albus is home sick for the fourth day in a row, but I'm sensing his imminent return to school. Every day he ate noodle soup for lunch, and we sat together reading the newspaper. Today's conversation centred around the new book deals, and what I might want to write next.

"You should write Girl Swimmer. And then Girl Cyclist. And then Girl Triathlete!"

"Well ... it's not really a sequel kind of a book."

"You could write a prequel! Girl Before Runner."

"Before Girl Runner?"

"Girl Before Runner."

"Girl Before Runner. I like it."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,