Land and stories

DSC01558.jpg
reading in bed

I'm sick and in bed. It's where I've been all weekend. I missed our annual Robbie Burns party, in fact. (Not to sound too over-pitying but the photos above and below were taken during the party. I spent the night at my mom's instead, with the younger kids, enjoying live-text updates from the party by Albus, Kevin, and my friend Zoe, who had baked Kevin a birthday cake, as we still have no oven. It felt ever so slightly like being there, as I tried to help her locate one lousy birthday candle somewhere in our entire house; she did.)

DSC01557.jpg

The one upside to being sick and in bed is all the reading I've been able to do. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I lay around devouring books at this pace. I love books, but I'd forgotten how much I need them. When I think back on my life, I realize that I remember in specific detail sitting and reading, or lying in bed and reading, in many different rooms and seasons, and at many different ages. The winter after I'd turned twenty, I lived in a basement apartment with my brother, and we had no television, and the internet, as we now know it, had not been invented (or at least wasn't available in our basement apartment). I used my computer much like a typewriter: to write papers and poems. And I read for entertainment. I remember reading Pride and Prejudice, maybe for the first time, and all of J.D. Salinger, for the millionth time, and Anne of Windy Poplars, which I still read every once in awhile, just because.

This weekend I fell in love with a book: Born with a Tooth, by Joseph Boyden. Well, it's short stories, and I do fall for short stories. If you haven't read it, seek it out and do. I'm certain some of the themes that seed his novels are planted here, and perhaps not as fully developed, this being his first book, but I don't mind, not at all. These are stories that will gut you, and make your heart ache, and maybe take your spirit somewhere deeper too.

I also read an entertaining cowboy-noir tough-guy book called All Hat, by Brad Smith, which got me through a really crummy Saturday.

And now I'm reading Nathan Englander's What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank. More stories. If I find out a writer I like has written short stories, that's what I go and seek out. I love them. I find it odd that I haven't felt like writing them, myself, for awhile. It's almost like poetry. The urge to write a poem comes and goes -- goes for years, lately. And then suddenly comes again. I seem to be thinking in novels instead, since Juliet.

DSC_1816.jpg
shadow of our house

My profound thought of the day is that everything in this world comes down to land and stories. But now I've forgotten why I formed the thought. My brain feels muddy and my eyelids are heavy. Land and stories. I was thinking that war is almost always about land, but not just war -- conflict of all kinds. What does it mean to possess land? To claim it? To take its riches? What claim do we have on the land we call ours, both personally and nationally? And then stories. I've been thinking how much stories matter. They matter in ways we don't fully appreciate or maybe can't take in. Stories are alive and changing, flexible, they can answer the questions we hardly dare to ask, and they can corner us, too, and pin us down. The person in control of the stories is the person with the power. Maybe even more powerful than the person with the land, when you get right down to it.

This could be the fever talking.

Outside, winter winters on, temperatures burning cold, snow whirling, wind whipping. Maybe I will remember this time of reading, years from now, and the stories that filled me up.

Labels: , , , ,