This post contains more than the recommended daily dose of exclamation points*

DSC_0183.jpg
snack on the back porch, with the snails

This weekend's snow-rain notwithstanding, we've been living outdoors again. As of last week, the outdoor soccer season has started, and we're on the field multiple times a week. I won't get into the machinations, but a certain son has agreed to babysit a certain other son while the girls practice soccer, so that I can run on my favourite trails two evenings a week. The carshare car is also involved. We all pile home and find the house in disarray: supper abandoned on the table, dirty dishes in the sink, laundry overflowing, bedtime way too late.

DSC_0170.jpg
the snails: Ally, Emily, Amy, and Alla (who is very small and hasn't been seen for a few days, leading me to believe he/she is quite possibly lost somewhere in the house)

Last week, it was warm well into the evening, the light was beautiful, and being outdoors felt like the reward for all the mess. This may feel slightly less rewarding when the weather is rainy/snowy/bloody cold. 

It's hard to get up early when one is going to bed so late. That I will observe. I'm down to two early mornings for exercise, and hoping these evening additions will keep me sane. Because that's the reason I exercise, you know. Sanity! Which is ironic, because it's the kids' exercise activities that may drive me to insanity!

DSC_0159.jpg
carpet of pollen

Our weekend was devoted to sport. Saturday saw Kevin and Albus off to an overnight soccer tournament, and AppleApple and I were out the door even earlier to a swim meet. The meet went late, and it took some frantic messaging to arrange back-up for my other duty of the afternoon: coaching CJ's soccer team. AppleApple swam her relay (last heat of the last event of the morning!), threw on her clothes, and we drove for the soccer field (only about 90 km away!), arriving 20 minutes late and very grateful to the dad who stepped up to help. My coaching was better this week than last. I'm learning! 

DSC_0179.jpg
pollen after rain

AppleApple spent her spare hours working on her science fair project. I indulged the younger ones with movies from the library. We had hot dogs for supper. Kev texted me news about the tournament and the pizza party at the hotel. I fell into bed essentially depleted. Oh, and I didn't even tell you about the part where I almost burned the house down by absentmindedly leaving a pan on the stove, burner on, while I walked the dogs before supper. Luckily, as smoke filled the house, AppleApple applied the skills learned in her babysitting class, discovered the source, and turned off the burner. The fire alarm was sounding when I arrived home. She didn't know how to turn that off. It is not in my character to absentmindedly leave burners on and exit the house! This has never happened before! It speaks to my levels of depletion, I think.

Anyway ....

DSC_0175.jpg
back porch living

Yesterday, I rose early again to wake AppleApple and prep her for another day at the swim meet. She caught a ride with a teammate, because, really, I couldn't ask my mom to babysit that early two days in a row (and on Mother's Day!). I've said before how tedious I find the meets: crowded, damp, hot, loud, long. And yet I hated missing it. My Mother's Day was off to a sad start. I crawled back into bed only to be woken by howling dogs and squabbling children. Besides, we had swim lessons. Breakfast and a dog walk, and we were off again. "Mother's Day makes me grumpy," I texted Kevin. But he and Albus were back by the time swim lessons ended, so I jumped in the truck and flew down the highway to the swim meet.

Waterloo-20130511-00204.jpg
gorgeous blooms I stopped to smell while walking the dogs on Saturday evening, blithely unaware of the crisis, of which I was the cause, unfolding at home

I arrived with minutes to spare before her second of four races. And what a race! She improved her personal best by 15 seconds in a race that really takes guts: 200 metre breaststroke. "I almost threw up after I touched the wall," she told me, glowing at her accomplishment. So the stands were jammed and I had to sit on a concrete step and it was hot, loud, and damp--I truly cared not. My kid was glowing. I was glowing. My Mother's Day was on the mend.

DSC_0193.jpg
Mother's Day feast: four kinds of burgers (lamb, beef, chicken, bison), portobello mushrooms, fried potatoes, enormous green salad

We arrived home to discover the house had been cleaned and Kevin was cooking up a Mother's Day feast. And then I had the best Mother's Day gift of all: a long leisurely meal, all of us back together, laughing and talking and telling stories.

:::

* and not the good kind of exclamation point, sorry--these are clearly of the holy-heck-this-is-absurd! variety

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,