On the balanced life (aka "balanced")

DSC_1608.jpg

File this post under balance. Sort of. I'm not convinced I'm actually someone who cares to live a "balanced" life. In fact, I'm fairly certain I'm someone who wants to live at full throttle, whether I'm sleeping, socializing, parenting, cooking, writing, or whatevering. I'm all in. That doesn't mean I want to live at a manic breakneck pace, just that I want to be present wherever I am, fully appreciating that speck of time, that particular activity. That's my version of balance.

Anyway, I want to reflect on how our crazy schedule is working this fall -- because against all odds it does seem to be working.

Most of the kids' extra-curricular activities occur after school. Piano is a constant, with the three eldest taking weekly lessons and practicing quite regularly (sticker charts work for two of them, and one doesn't need the encouragement). We've skipped swim lessons for the fall. But AppleApple swims three times a week with a competitive swim team. I was remembering how she used to be kind of rotten when she was bored, and how rarely we see that behavior from her anymore. Maybe she's matured. Or maybe she just doesn't have time to be bored.

Kevin organizes a weekly neighbourhood hockey/skate hour at the rink, which all the kids do.

DSC_1600.jpg

And the rest of our lives revolve around soccer. Every single family member now plays soccer. We've got soccer every day of the week except for Wednesdays (and even Wednesday is looking to go to soccer very soon). Further, Kevin coaches all of the kids, except for Fooey who chose to do soccer skills rather than play on an indoor team (her time slot would have been 8am on Saturday mornings, so we did not object to her choice). You wouldn't think of soccer as a year-round sport in Canada, but with indoor fields all over the place, it's just as year-round as hockey can be. AppleApple plays four times a week (once on an indoor house league team that her dad coaches; he doesn't coach her rep team for which I am truly grateful). Albus plays twice, but will soon be adding an extra evening. The rest of us only play once a week. But with six people in the family, even once a week would add up.

We are using the carshare car all the time. Still, it's more economical than purchasing a second vehicle, at this point.

Most of my exercise occurs early in the morning, and occasionally overlaps with a soccer practice or swim. It's very regimented, actually. I don't mention it because I just keep doing it: running, spinning, weights. In fact, the whole schedule is very regimented, and I think that's why it works. We all know what to expect, day by day.

What I hadn't anticipated, with all this soccering, was that I would have many evenings alone with the kids -- the three that aren't playing on any given night. Kevin is getting more one-on-one time with them, but I'm getting the calm and really very lovely bedtime routine. (All except for the toothbrushing, which is never calm and lovely, and which I loathe, having a bit of a tooth complex.) I have the after supper cleanup, piano practice, homework, playtime, sometimes dog walking, snacktime, pajamas, and then reading before bed.

With CJ now old enough to enjoy chapter books, we've been revisiting the classics: Charlotte's Web, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and now Tales of a Fourth-Grade Nothing. I'm thinking of suggesting the Little House on the Prairie series next. I'll never get tired of re-reading these books! It's the perfect end to the day.

DSC_1605.jpg

So that's been our fall. Without the chalkboard wall, I couldn't possibly keep it all together. Every Sunday I write down each day's special activities. This week I have a section just for teacher interviews. Kids scrawl phone messages on there. I write down ingredients in the fridge to remind myself what to cook for supper. We've got a monthly soccer chart with all the dates and times of practices for each family member. It keeps us all together.

It takes a lot of energy to keep us all together. But I'm all in.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,