Get up and fly

flying2
flying

On this morning's run, my friend and I were talking about exercising. About how exercise keeps us balanced, mentally. Yet when we most need to move, to sweat, to feel alive in our bodies is often when we are least in the mood for it. Mental strength underpins physical strength; and we don't always feel strong or motivated or inspired. I still find it unpleasant, every morning, when the alarm goes off early. I feel resistant to leaving my warm bed and the sweet state of sleep. Every single morning. There hasn't been one morning when I've greeted the alarm by leaping up with joy in my heart. But I do it. And within minutes I've gathered my clothes, I'm brushing my teeth, and I'm already beyond the yucky feeling of I don't want to. I'm ready to go.

What's the lesson here? Establish a habit. Make a routine that runs counter to your immediate instinct. I've never once regretted getting up early to exercise. Yet somehow my mind forgets that every morning. But that's okay. Because my habits and routine remind me. Other tips for exercising regularly, even when you don't feel like it: Meet someone -- makes it harder to change your plan last-minute. Set out your clothes the night before. Get up and go. Don't think about it, just do it.

Okay, enough with the motivational messaging.

Today is the day I dreamed of yesterday. The kids left for school with minimal complaining. Lots of kisses from the two youngest. Hugs from the two oldest. Quick nap. Cup of coffee. Finishing the last of the interviews for this article. Sitting and dreaming. Quiet house.

Have I told you that next week is a writing week? It will be my first writing week in this new office space. It will be my first attempt to dig into the new book. I may not update here on the blog quite as often; then again, I may need to blog more often, who knows.

Here are four things that are making me happy this morning.

One is the status update of a writer friend I know only on Facebook: "A must read. I simply can't stop underlining this book!" with a link to The Juliet Stories. (Wish I could peek in her copy to see what she's been drawn to.)

Two is a book review by my friend Nath, who didn't tell me she'd decided to blog about The Juliet Stories. I love hearing her thoughts. Maybe we'll even talk about it someday while we're driving to spin class together (or biking outside together--soon!).

Three is an invitation from the Eden Mills Writers' Festival to do a writing workshop with high school students, and to meet students, on two different occasions.

Four is doing interviews for this freelance piece. I think of myself as shy, but I've been really enjoying interviewing people. Maybe this relates back to my original thought o' the day: don't automatically trust your immediate instinct. Why would I think of myself as shy? I enjoy talking to be people, and do it regularly. In high school, I was genuinely shy. But that's more than half my life ago. Time to update the mental self-image.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,