News plus nostalgia

fake front page from Dec. 8, 2000
fake front page from December 8, 2000

All this week, I am guest editing the Afterword, which is the National Post newspaper's absolutely terrific book blog. Since my first real job was at the National Post in their books section (oh, more than a decade ago now; pre-children and post-grad school), the current books editor, Mark Medley, suggested I write about my time there. Which got me all nostalgic, I must confess. And that is the subject of today's post on the Afterword. More of my posts, on other subjects, will follow throughout the week.

A word on the photo above. When I left the National Post, colleagues in the section surprised me by putting together a fake front page with stories written by them especially to mark the occasion. It was one of the sweetest gifts I've ever received, and of course I framed it to keep forever. Below, a close-up. This photo was taken at a Post party, and it's what I looked like in the fall of 2000. I was in fact pregnant with my first baby, though you can't tell (and yes that is a non-alcoholic beverage in my hand). I just look at this photo and think: so young. (Also: why the turtleneck, young sexy Carrie? Why?)

I look at this photo and it makes me happy.
once upon a time

Labels: ,