From dancing to dentistry, just like that

legoplay2
my 4:45am companion, with sound effects

I did not take photos at last night's show. It was late for mamas at mid-week, a decade and a half older than the kids who came out to dance. But we mamas came out to dance too. And we still know how, despite our complaints about the lateness (so late!) and the loudness (first band, so loud!), and the "Oh God, I hope my hip holds out" (so lame!).

The dancing. It was really fun. We danced for the second band, but the really inspired getting down didn't happen until Kidstreet arrived on stage. I love my siblings! Their sound is infectious, their performance is joyful and welcoming, and my sister is just the most gorgeous and composed creature on stage that you can possibly imagine (whether or not she can see it herself). As the set progressed, my dance moves got more adventurous, less fearful of will-this-hurt-my-hip? By the last song of the night, I'd shed that decade and a half, at least inside my own head. Walking home through the quiet of freshly fallen snow, I had to admit that I was limping ever so slightly. But when I woke up this morning, my hip actually felt years better.

Seriously. I could jog across the living-room without pain. How bizarre is that?

Let me tell you about the few hours between dancing and morning. I was gloriously asleep when the pitter-patter of feet woke me. CJ had gone to the bathroom by himself (yay!), returned to his bed and decided he didn't like the looks of it (uh oh!), and come into our room lugging his water bottle and a giant sheep stuffie (noooooooo!). "I had a bad dream!" he announced, which is his new code for "I don't want to go to sleep." He attempted to climb into bed beside me. The sheep didn't fit. Seriously, it's enormous. We could all see this wasn't working. I dragged myself upright, walked him back to his own room, explained about it being the middle of the night, sleeptime, etc., tucked him in.

Pitter-patter, pitter-patter. No sheep this time. "Is anyone downstairs?" he asks from the side of the bed. It's pitch black. 4:45am. "Nope. We're all sleeping. Because it's the middle of the night!" He climbs in beside me, snuggles up. I'm too tired to object. We "sleep" like this for an hour until I just can't stand the wriggling anymore. (I know lots of parents share beds with their children, and I just want to know: do those children hold still in their sleep? Because mine are like squirrels, if squirrels were much larger and not furry and had sharp elbows and hot breath and digging heels).

"Listen," I said at last. "I can't sleep like this. I'm going to your bed."

"What?"

"You can stay here, and I will go sleep in your bed. Or, you can go sleep in your bed and I'll stay here. One or the other. Because I'm not getting any rest and I have to get up in an hour for a dentist appointment."

"My blankets are too small."

"Not the green one. The green one is plenty big. So what you do want: should I go sleep in your bed, or will you?"

Surprisingly, he chose to return to his bed. And then he slept.

And much too soon after that I was sitting in a reclining chair staring at beige ceiling panels, listening to top-forty soft rock while a masked woman scaled tartar off my teeth.

If I were sketching a trajectory of pleasantness upon a graph, say, from midnight until nine this morning, it would look like a ski hill. High to low, baby, high to low. The nighttime bed-sharing was definitely several graph points above the hygienist prodding exposed nerve endings between my teeth. At least with the bed-sharing I got to snuggle up to a hot-breathed, wriggling, pointy-elbowed creature of intense dearness. With the dentist all I got was a return appointment a week from today to fill a cavity -- my first in TWENTY YEARS.

See. Straight down. Like a ski hill.

It's a life.

Labels: , , , , ,