Forgetting, Remembering


Last week was a hard one for me. Home alone (with the children), I thought, well, I'll think of it as a holiday. But it didn't feel like a holiday. It felt like me, home alone with the children, with no writing time. It felt like in one short week, I'd lost the ability to talk coherently to grownups. My patience was thin. My envy of anyone with a job outside the home was thick. Note to all mothers of young children who read this blog and wonder how the heck I do the things that I do: I do those things while other people look after my children. There's no secret to it, really. When I'm home alone with my children, I can barely string together a sentence without interruption. It's a recipe for madness, not for insightful thought.

(I write this while one child quizzes me in multiple choice form and we all stare out the window at a man with a hammer breaking apart some copper piping in front of our house -- not our piping, but I'm guessing he didn't come by it honestly; but as I'm sitting in my bathing suit because it's really really hot, and though the kids have suggested it, I'm not going to approach the man with the hammer to ask what he's doing on our sidewalk).

Productive? Holiday?

Neither, really. But this morning, I got up early and went to a yoga class: my first in nearly two weeks. A short list for mental survival arrived. I must write this down and remember it, I thought. Why is it so hard to remember the little things that make life better? And then to step out of inertia to do them?

- yoga, for meditation and quiet thought
- writing, journalling
- reading poetry
- friends

And while this week alone with children is not a holiday, and it's not going to be productive work-wise either, it is time with my children, unstructured together-time. We made an attempt at an adventure this morning. It didn't really turn out (too many mosquitoes), but everyone enjoyed it. "This really is an adventure!" someone said, as we fled the woods amidst a storm of bugs. This week, I'm going to write a bit more, hang out a bit more, and yoga a bit more. And not try to wish this summer into something it's not.

Labels: , , , , ,