Day of duathlon

Finishing the first leg, heading for the transition area. Both feet off the ground. Looking and feeling strong. Plus, the sun is shining!

Getting out on my bike. Right at the start. My form isn't great here and I haven't settled in (and down), but I look so darn happy. I like that. Let's get this baby moving, uphill preferably!

Heading out for the final leg, post-bike ride. Discovering my leg muscles no longer know how to function. Fittingly, it had started to rain. Thinking: I can do this. Right? Well, I'm gonna.

The homestretch. The finish line is before me. I did have a moment of emotion here, realizing I was going to make it. That final leg was one of the harder things I've done in my life. It was like running on legs of water. I tried and tried, but throughout the four km, I just couldn't pick up the pace.

Me and my friend Tricia! I am so glad she was with me. All of the planning and logistics, plus the ride there, set-up, the wait: I needed someone with me. It would have been awfully lonely and intimidating on my own. She went out of the first transition ahead of me and I never caught up, but it made me glad to see her jersey in front of me. She is an Ironwoman! This picture makes me teary. We've trained together over the winter, shared some early mornings, and today, we worked so hard and we made it across the finish line! (And thanks also to her husband who took these fantastic photos. My family didn't quite make it to see me finish, though we all got to eat pork on a bun together afterward).

I'll write more in-depth about the experience on my Swim/Bike/Run Mama blog. And now I can offically call myself Bike/Run Mama. That's something.

Labels: , , , ,