Sources of inspiration

Little wee writing thought to record for future use (I hope) ... I've noticed that I write the good stuff, the inspired stuff, in small batches, often unexpectedly, though also often when I have the time to hang around and spiral slowly down deep. The corollary of that phenomenon is that I spend many a writing day fooling around, sitting around in front of the computer, slightly bored, not inspired, and writing nothing of any substance or use. (And I don't mean blog entries, because I consider those relatively useful, and, even, occasionally, substantial). I mean, I write nothing of use. Period. Type, type, type, only to realize that a particular story or a particular take on a story is not meant to be; worse, that it isn't a necessary story. It doesn't long to be. (Though sometimes these ideas get recycled many years later). (So, maybe not useless, or not always useless).

Ahem. Nice circular thinking here, OCM. Very clear-headed at 10:41pm, after a good night run around the snowy neighbourhood.

My point. I had one. I want to give myself the freedom to do something else on those writing days of useless effort. Because the writing will get done--it gets done when a necessary story arises and must be told. It does. That's how I write the keepers. Yet I feel guilty because only a few days each week are meant for writing, and I go to great effort and some expense to clear the house of children, in order to write. And then along comes a writing day when I'm not inspired, not at all. What the heck to do? Can I free myself of the guilt and .... and there my imagination pulls up short. And, what? Go for a walk or a run? To a yoga class? Play the piano? Read a book? Write a letter? It has to be something spontaneous, not planned, something flexible. It doesn't have to be the same something every time, either. I'm terrified of losing my discipline; but maybe all this discipline is robbing me of experiences, of sources, of alternative creative outlets that could create connections in my mind; and it's the connections that invent necessary stories.

Maybe there are some new year's resolutions waiting for me after all. I am a generalist, and I wonder what it would feel like, what it would take, to be passionate about something more specific. Being a good writer is a fine and lovely thing, but being a good writer without a subject is futility itself. The book I'm writing has a very specific subject, and it's occupied my mind for a number of years; and I'm seeing an end in sight. What comes next? What are my obsessions, my subjects, my loves?

Word of the year ... I've got one; but I'm holding out for another post to share it. I don't have that post in me tonight.

Labels: , ,