Food, Glorious Food

Here's a new twist: Kevin cooking with the kids. Today, it was Fooey's turn and I needed a break. So the two of them thought up the menu and made: wonton soup, and shrimp crepes with mint, lettuce and bean sprouts (from Vietnam in the global food cookbook). For dessert, which we're eating right now: bananas fried in butter and brown sugar with mango sorbet. Good, good, and good!
Next week's menu is already being discussed. It will be Albus's turn. Kevin is pleased to participate in the cooking, and I am happy to pass the torch.
:::
With my spare cooking time this weekend, I made a chicken stock to freeze (and to use as a base for the wonton soup). I've been doing this regularly, every few weekends, making enough to freeze for adding to soups and other recipes during the week. Here's my extremely basic recipe for chicken stock: I use the bones, skin, and gizzardy bits leftover from roasting a scrumptious Nina chicken, adding whole onions, garlic, carrots, celery, sometimes a potato or turnip, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, and a few tbsp of apple cider vinegar; and of course litres of water, often coming close to filling my gigantic stock pot. After simmering for an hour or two, I let it cool, then strain everything out. The taste of this stock cannot be beat; except perhaps by the smell while it's cooking. Which is why I keep making it.
:::
I also made whole wheat waffles, doubling the batch, and making enough to store several breakfasts' worth for later in the week. Weekend waffle-making has become an excellent habit this winter.
:::
My final recipe success today: Chocolate Sunflower Granola Bars. This is adapted from Simply In Season's Oatmeal Fruit Cookies, and was inspired by two different friends describing how they make cookie baking faster: by spreading the dough onto a sheet and cutting it into squares after baking. I had about 45 minutes in which to make these bars if we were going to make it to the planned afternoon family yoga outing. Plenty of time! Here's my recipe:

Chocolate Sunflower Granola Bars
Cream together 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup oil, 1 cup sugar, and 2 tbsp honey. Scrape the bowl and beat till light and fluffy. Beat in 1 egg and 2 tsp vanilla.
In a separate bowl, combine 3 and 1/2 cups of oats, 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1 and 1/2 cups chocolate chips, 1 cup sunflower seeds, and 1 teaspoon baking soda.
Add the dry to the wet, stirring just till mixed. You can add another sprinkling of flour if the mixture seems wet.
Spread the dough on a greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
Cut into squares while the giant cookie is still hot.
(I left the cut, hot squares untouched in the cookie sheet and resting on the cooling rack for a couple of hours while Albus and Fooey and I went on a family yoga outing together, and the squares were lovely and cool and transferred nicely to the cookie container upon return. Not even crumbly!).

Labels: , , , ,