Nice Lid, Kid

Someone likes getting his hair brushed. But is he going to declare us the meanest parents ever, somewhere down the road, for dressing his gorgeous toddler self in a pink sleeper? And photographing him wearing it? And posting said photograph online? After this photo was taken, he asked to "see! see!" and when shown, he stabbed with his finger at the little person on the tiny screen and yelled out his own name, for the first time ever, to the insane delight of his entire family, who happened to be gathered 'round for bedtime snack (Kevin's least favourite "meal" of the day).
:::
My friend Tricia has joined a challenge to read 100 books this month--children's books. That got me thinking that it might be interesting to keep track of what I've read on a given day ... say, yesterday. I know that I read a lot every day, but it's not the reading I used to do when I would sit down and devour a book for hours at a time. It's endless little bits that add up to ... not sure, really. Broader knowledge? Or shallower knowledge? Less about more?
:::
So, here's what I read on Wednesday, though not in any particular order ...
Front section (news) of the Globe and Mail newspaper (on actual newsprint--we get it delivered). Online first-person piece by Diana Athill, from the National Post's website. A blog about the Bookstravaganza reading I attended on Monday. Caught up on the Globe and Mail's online book blog. An interview with Annabel Lyon on the Toronto Star's website. A bunch of emails. Facebook content provided by Facebook friends (thanks, friends!). Dooce. Several assigned articles in a textbook called Open Boundaries, which, truth be told, glazed my eyeballs. The obituary of a famous anthropologist in the Globe and Mail. Something from Nothing (a children's book), and Pancakes! Pancakes! (another children's book). Part of Attack of the Giant Mutant Snow Goons, or somesuch, a Calvin & Hobbes comic book. Several recipes. A couple of my own stories, for editing purposes. My women's studies essay, for proofing purposes. Various sheets of paper carried home in the bags of my school-going children.
There may be more that I'm forgetting now.

Labels: ,