Day of the Dead

Yesterday, we celebrated/marked el Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead. Kevin was thinking a lot about his dad, who died of cancer two years ago, on Halloween. Last year, we drove to his mom's farm near Kingston after trick-or-treating, exactly as we'd done the previous year; but this year, Kevin worked on Halloween, and we couldn't make the pilgrimage. So, instead, Kevin made a Day of the Dead shrine to honour those family members who've passed on. The kids and I were anxious about the candles burning down the house (sorry, Kev, I seem to have passed along the worry gene that doesn't afflict you, and certainly didn't afflict your dad, either!). I spent the Day of the Dead cooking up a feast. Albus played street hockey all afternoon, Fooey played indoors, Apple-Apple ploughed through the rest of the fifth Harry Potter book whilst wiggling a loose tooth (now out), and CJ napped.
::::
I'm alone with CJ again this morning, and we are playing upstairs. If we get downstairs, and if he doesn't strongly object to my typing, I will add some recipes ...

Labels: