Tangentially Typing

My photos are loaded onto a different computer. I may add some in later, but will not let lack of illustration get in the way of a small update. With a life packed perhaps slightly too full, there seems no time to blog. And I miss it. It's like journaling, which was something I used to do every day, by hand (unfortunately--of perhaps fortunately, depending on one's perspective--those journals are essentially illegible, written in code, due to my "handwriting" which is a cross between cursive and print--an unsuccessful, take-it-behind-the-barn-and-shoot-it cross. Except I can't because it's all I've got).
Darn. Tangents always seem to happen in Blogland.
Here are some of the things currently filling my days ...
Books: I'm writing a review for a former colleague at the Post, who is now publishing a magazine called Lake Simcoe Living; we're rounding up some books to recommend for holiday giving and reading, and as such, I got to thumb through catalogues (not literally, because everything's online now), make a shortlist, consult with her, then call publishers for review copies, which was something I used to do almost daily, but haven't for years. Of course, all the publicists I used to talk to have moved on. But publicists are friendly; it's their job. I've got two beautiful books already sitting at my elbow, waiting to be read and reviewed (that's on my to-do list for this morning)--one of them I'm especially excited about: it's called Earth to Table: Seasonal Recipes from an Organic Farm, by Jeff Crump and Bettina Schormann. The photos are gorgeous and make me want to fondle vegetables, and then cook them.
:::
Mark your calendars: I will be reading at the launch of The New Quarterly's fall issue on October 22. That's a Thursday. Which is the same evening that I also happen to have my first midterm. Seriously. Did I mention that I'm taking a women studies class? The professor thinks I'll be finished in plenty of time. I'm excited about this class because I'm focussing my major paper on midwifery and doula'ing, and have already spoken to her about it. Yes, I'm a keener. Why the heck else would I be taking a class, if not to squeeze all potential learning out of it?
Tangent. Whoops.
October 22, Art Bar, which is in the Centre in the Square, in Kitchener. I'll be reading around 8:45pm, but doors open much earlier. Details to follow.
:::
Kevin's in Toronto running a slate of training classes, and this morning was HAIRY. I was a chicken with its head chopped off. Picture a cartoon Carrie suspended mid-air with legs and arms stretching in four different directions. And her head popping off. But we made it. And I enjoyed a brisk jog too. Which reminds me that I meant to blog about exercise. Am I fitting it into my life? I felt in better shape this summer with all the family biking we were doing. But I do bike to and from campus once a week, at a racing pace (why am I late, no matter where I'm going?). Biking after dark sure gets the heart pumping. I am covered with flashing red lights, but still feel only an invisible obstacle away from mangling myself. I also run home from school a couple of mornings a week. And I walk to school every day to pick up the kids (briskly on the way there, as, yes, I've started leaving later and later, because, really, why be early, when you can enjoy the adrenalin rush of not being sure you'll quite make it in time?).
Does a joking tone translate in Blogland?
Stop typing. Stop typing, now. Time to work!

Labels: , , , , , , ,