Stillness Like a Voice


**written at the "new" cottage, The Treehouse, Seeley's Bay, Ontario**
Afternoon. Too beautiful to sit indoors. Shadows of leaves, the bay water, wind, Fooey watching videos, CJ asleep, big kids and Kev trying out a round of pitch-and-putt golf. I spent yesterday and this morning reading, all in a big sustained gulp, The Girls, by Lori Lansens, a book found here in the cottage. Couldn't resist (despite bringing along two library books, now untouched). This was not deep literary fiction, though well-crafted and appealing. Lightish. I appreciated the small, quiet observations, such as how the most extraordinary situations don't seem bizarre while they're happening, it's only afterward that one has to cope with them and reflect upon them and place them, name them--not just experience them--that the reverberations are felt. The narrator wonders whether perhaps we never get over our losses. It is funny how we've accustomed ourselves by that phrase to believe that human beings "get over" things, as if we could ascend a loss and then descend on the other side, walk so far we couldn't see or remember it anymore. It's more like the effects are embedded within us. Not that we're doomed to spend our lives sad and ruined, just that life doesn't permit us to be the same.
***
Is reading a distraction, or does it pull me into a different kind of now?
I worry often that I'm not present enough. And then wonder what presence really means.
Wondering--what will make me happy, satisfied, content, or is that mining false gold even to seek such ephemerals? Wondering--what will I choose to do with my days? Is it enough to cook, clean, preserve, parent? What more, exactly, am I craving? I want to fill these days absolutely to overflowing with meaningful actions; and feel a simultaneous and contradictory pull to let my days fill themselves naturally.
I used to think that writing was a way of seeking and perhaps finding permanence; certainly it's been for me a form of solitary meditation. I've begun to think, however, that it leaves something out: the body. And I wonder--is doing, experiencing, being present oddly more permanent? I think about the families I got to know through doula'ing, and how my life and theirs are, for that speck of time, embedded with each other's--because we were present and together at a significant moment of transition and becoming. My part was small, and it wasn't my story, but I bore witness. Bearing witness ... that may be where my talents lie.
Writing is one way to bear witness: the private distillation of experiences, physical and emotional, into words. It can feel intimate, but it's also crushingly lonely. Reading may be another way, opening oneself to a larger world, to different stories. Also solitary. The appeal of the doula experience, upon reflection, is the shared human interaction; yes, it's a way bear witness, but in a physical, corporeal way. It happens and then it's over. You can't write about it afterward (I can't, anyway, not descriptively). The fact of it happening is enough, more than enough.
Come to think of it, that's a lot like parenting.
***
Okay, that handwritten scrawl of a self-indulgent text required way too much editing. Writing directly to blog is much more efficient. And I didn't come around, at the end, to any satisfying conclusions. Sorry folks. Above, an inundation of photos. Sorry, again. Guess I really really really missed blogging.

Labels: , , , ,