Walk in the Snow

That photo of CJ looks so old now; well, he looks so young. Yet when I started this blog it wasn't so far out of date. Time, time. I'm just back from a walk in the snow. Last winter I walked virtually every evening during the final three months of my pregnancy, and tonight was very reminscent. The snow falling, the pull to go outside, but not quite wanting to go to the bother, feeling tired, couch and snack calling. And yet. Trusting it would be worth the effort.

I often start my walks feeling resistant to the work, to the same old boring route; and without exception that sensation disappears by the top of the first hill. Without exception. Which prompted me to reflect, tonight, on that peculiar human truth-- that so often our most rewarding activities are also the hardest to begin, to keep as routines, to follow through on. How much easier to pick up a magazine or newspaper than a book, for example.

And, also, how much easier to drive than to walk. Having spent part of this afternoon running errands in the family vehicle, crouched behind the wheel, muttering softly, I'm firmly in walking's camp. Not to say the car isn't occasionally my friend, and not to malign the wonders of a good old-fashioned road-trip; but happiness doesn't come in car-form. Feet upon ground. Exposed to the surroundings. So, yah, it's colder, damper, sometimes. Sometimes I choose not to go somewhere just because I can't bear to bundle up my kids one more time for one more trip. But, then, I'm never in quite the same panicked hurry; probably because it's impossible to panic and hurry, to floor the gas and cut people off, and therefore I usually leave myself enough time for error and last-minute bathroom emergencies. Usually, I said.

Labels: