Burn After Reading

This is a January primal scream of self-pity and I apologize in advance, with an extra sorry to my little son who deserves to be picked up, rather than stuck clutching my pant leg and fussing with boredom--okay, he wins. Really, where are my priorities? I'm now typing one-handed.

I've been outdoors twice since Saturday--once to pick the kids up from school, and once to entertain those well enough to go outside and play in the snow. Otherwise I've been in here, tending to children throwing up and cooking elaborate local meals from our stores (cutting up a chicken is harder than it looks; though that might have been in part because said bird hadn't fully thawed).

But the biggest primal scream relates to a serious lack of writing time. I've had SIX HOURS to write since before Christmas. That's going on a month. It's not for lack of trying to schedule time, either; it's circumstances conspiring against opportunity, the unforeseeables of germs, of sleep deprivation, of dental and medical appointments. Last night, Kevin had a soccer thing and then a hockey game, so I put the kids to bed alone; in the fantasy version of that scenario, I laid CJ down in the crib in our room, and stayed up late writing in the office/baby room. In the actual version of events, I laid CJ down "for the night," and he woke screaming fifteen minutes later--though in the interim I'd carried Fooey off to a happy sleep; thank you, sweet Fooey--at which point I sat nursing a twitchy CJ for another hour, till finally, finally, he'd fallen into what approximated a deep sleep, at which point, I was glassy-eyed and hungry and resigned, and laid him to sleep in his own bed in the office/baby room.

I admire every parent who works after his or her children are asleep. No matter how hopeful my plans, by the time this blessed state arrives, four times over, my brain has ceased firing on all neurons. So instead, I went looking for a fatty cheese to spread on some crackers, then read in bed (Unaccustomed Earth, by Jhumpa Lahiri; oh read her, read her, her stories are quietly amazing; she is also the mother of two young children and said in an interview that she'd never write anything were someone else not regularly caring for them).

Okay, we get the life we choose, and I've chosen four children, and no nanny. For the record, I get this grim feeling every January. I'm in need of some naturally sourced vitamin D. Or some exercise-induced endorphins. Our bodies crave nutrients. But I'm starting to think--or to be reminded, more accurately--that my fingers crave these keys, and my mind craves a quiet space carved out of the day's responsible hours.

And, no, CJ is not in my arms anymore. He jumped down and went off to chew on a few crayons, accompanied by the companionable noises of Albus, home from school for one final recuperative day, exploding imaginary ships, and Fooey munching crackers and chatting to herself.

Labels: , , ,