Tomato P.S.

Have to say that 1/4 bushel of romas, boiled into a sauce, filled four quart jars EXACTLY. I am not exaggerating. Don't even know how that's possible. Not a drop left over, and each jar filled with a 1/2 inch of headspace. (This is lazy woman tomato puree, by the way. I neither seeded nor skinned the tomatoes. Still, canning can't get much more casual than this, and, frankly, it hasn't felt like a hardship to do it, which is my general goal in life.)

With the four quarts of marinara from my neighbour (her husband was up till 3am babysitting the pot; and, it was actually five quarts, but one didn't pop, so we ate it for supper tonight), that will make eight more quarts of tomato-substance on my shelf. Heck, we'd survive till at least Christmas, now, on what I've put up. Maybe.

Labels: ,