Thinking Thanksgiving Food

Today may rain. I've got two peacefully playing girls in the living-room (F and a good friend), one baby in gigantic bouncer, and one cup of coffee. My goal for today is to have dinner made before walk-to-school time, and to think ahead for the Thanksgiving meal, which is not going to be elaborate this year (actually, I've never roasted a turkey; maybe next year). We're going to thaw two of Nina's chickens instead, and roast those. Probably for Saturday evening, when Kevin's family will be visiting. I've got loads of potatoes and squash (CSA), and have ordered yams through Nina. We do have pumpkins for pie, but I'm not a great pie-maker. I'm good with the cobblers and crisps, the cakes and cookies. Not so much the pies, which actually runs contrary to my heritage. I associate Mennonites with pies. In any case, it won't take much to turn all of this bounty into a feast. I think the preparation of this Thanksgiving feast takes on more significance when one is trying to eat locally. It seems like a goodbye feast, as well as a feast of gratitude for the harvest. Goodbye to summer's abundance and variety. Welcome in a new season of more solemn, heartier eating.

Okay, girls need puzzle help, and baby needs attention, so this shall be as it is, and no more.

Labels: , ,