Food, Not For Thought

Today's our Thanksgiving feast. I'm keeping it simple. Right now, I'm roasting a whole smallish pumpkin (CSA) in the oven, because, gosh darnit, my kids want a pie, and I'm going to try. We also have two chickens, six pounds, and seven pounds, respectively, thawing in the fridge, which I plan to stuff with a traditional bread stuffing (chopped apples tossed in for fun), and roast according to my Joy of Cooking recipe. Lots of salt rubbed on the skin, shallow pan, breast up. It's going to smell good in here. Additionally, I'm planning on boiling, then roasting some brussel sprouts, if Kevin finds some good local ones at the market. Boiled, smashed potatoes (CSA) with garlic and butter and mmm. Perhaps a balsamic-honey-dressed green salad, depends on what Kevin finds at the market; apparently "spring" mix is newly seasonal right now.

Am I forgetting something? The squash will be in the pie, assuming that works out.

Baby CJ got his six-month immunizations yesterday and has been ever so fussy. On top of his stuffed nose, he's pretty miserable, poor bab. He spent the night cuddled in our bed, again, nursing off and on. This is beginning to take a toll on my dewy-fresh complexion ... Yes, I'll blame it on that.

Kevin's family has arrived. Everyone is off to market, except for napping baby CJ and me (for some reason, he's happy to nap in his crib during the day; it's only at night that he wakes instantly and screams and hollers upon being extracted from a loving parent's arms).

To offer an update on Nina's buying club: It remains alive, popular, and subversive. Who knows, it may be a catalyst to change local food policy and by-laws in exciting ways in the coming months and years. Meantime, it sounds like we will continue to be able to buy at least some of our food through Nina, though today, for the first time in at least a month, we had our groceries delivered by Grocery Gateway (that sounds decadent, but hear me out: none other than George Monbiot, author of Heat, advocates online shopping and delivery, more efficient than each of us hopping into our individual vehicles and tooling around town picking up one item here, and one item there. The delivery cost is $10). Generally, I wait to make the Grocery Gateway order till some heavy things have piled up on my list, which would be difficult to transport all at once in the jogging stroller (aka my shopping cart/bundle buggy).

Thanks for your support re this weekend's familial turmoil. An update on the subject may or may not be forthcoming, depending on how confessional my mood becomes. Today I'm focussed on cooking and hosting, good and occupying tasks. Just remembered what menu item I'd forgotten: YAMS! They didn't arrive at buying club yesterday, and I neglected to add them to my market list. Too bad. Baby CJ probably could have tasted a smackerel too. Maybe I'll save out a bit of pumpkin to mash and cool and serve to him. So far he's eaten nothing but expressed breastmilk mixed with brown rice cereal. Pumpkin/squash is a pretty safe early food, right? Allergenically-speaking?

Labels: , , , , , ,